DOWNLOAD INSTRUCTIONS & BACKGROUND for The Words in Edgeways Tour
The Words in Edgeways Tour sets the poems and prose of the Boothstown/nr Manchester ‘Words in Edgeways‘ writers group in the locations which inspired the works. Bristol-based poet and writer, Ralph Hoyte worked with the group from May 2019 to early autumn to produce a collection of work around ‘moss’ and ‘re-wilding’ themes (the historical and actual moss and peat landscapes around Manchester and to the North are a defining feature of these landscapes – in this case especially Chat Moss). The poems and prose are being published in an anthology, ‘Looking for Eden‘ together with photographs resulting from a photography project running at the same time (details will be posted).
This ‘mobile immersive media’ tour (you hear the poetry and prose ON LOCATION by downloading an app to your smartphone, then walking and finding the ‘soundpools’) is both a way of placing WiE’s work IN the places they refer to, and a response to ‘lockdown’: you can do an armchair walk-thru’ of the tour either on your smartphone at home, or on a laptop, PC or tablet (if you want to experience the tour on anything apart from a mobile device – that is, probably any of the last 3 – you need to click WiE Armchair)
HOW TO EXPERIENCE ‘THE WORDS IN EDGEWAYS TOUR’
ON YOUR MOBILE PHONE
- on the Appstore (iPhone) or Google Play (Android phones) search ‘IZI-Travel’
- download the Izi-Travel app to your phone
- Open the app. You will see a map. The app centres the map around where YOU are, so you may have to scroll around to find the tour. In my case – I live in Bristol – I have to do this:
- Click on the red arrow as in (4) and you’ll get this:
- click on the ‘download’ icon (this downloads the content to your phone. If you don’t download it, it will try to stream it off the net. Not a good idea (1) you’re paying to stream; (2) you may or may not have a signal!). To see where the tour is downloaded, click on ‘My Profile’/ ‘Downloads’. At any time in the future you can open your downloaded Izi apps from here.
- Grab your earphones, go find the soundpools (they pop up as below)! You can – on location, or at home – hit any number on the screen and get a picture and the work in writing as well (as in the last 2 pictures below).TROUBLE-SHOOTING:
- if you get in a dither, or you experience the soundpools in the wrong order, or you drop your phone in the canal, or the dog eats it (well…) etc just ‘reset’ the tour as follows: hit My Profile > Downloads > The Words in Edgeways Tour > reset tour progress. You’re gd2go!
PLEASE TAKE CARE WHILST USING THE APP! WATCH OUT FOR OBSTACLES AND OTHER PEOPLE ETC!
ON A LAPTOP, PC OR TABLET
follow this link: WiE Armchair. You will get this>>>
Click around on it etc and you can both hear and see the soundfiles and follow the whole tour. Scroll down to see the actual piece in writing. Like this:
The support of City of Trees and the Carbon Landscape project is gratefully acknowledged